You’re passionate and curious about technology, drones, aviation, or all of the above. You have experience with 100% SaaS architecture, peer mentorship, and implementation of Java services. As a Senior Backend Engineer, you will design, develop, and implement new capabilities for the Platform that scale and encourage best practice. You will participate in a collaborative Agile team environment and build features that not only meet customer requirements, but help Skyward pave the future in an incredibly innovative industry.
· Actively participate as an Agile team member responsible for the Software Platform.
· Use Java (and related frameworks such as Spring Boot) and data stores (Postgres with PostGIS) to create scalable web services using REST/JSON or other formats (e.g. protocol buffers).
· Coordinate schedules and activities with engineering team; contribute to standups, estimating, prioritization and retrospectives.
· Work with UX specialists to make interfaces appealing, easy, attractive and simple.
· Collaborate with our Agile teams to evolve architectural patterns that ensure scalable, reusable and quality implementations
· Provide mentorship, guidance and egoless programming that empowers team members and promotes a strong Agile culture
· Remove technical roadblocks by identifying areas of complexity and suggesting architectural improvements that increase performance and lower risk
· Create testable, well documented code; troubleshoot; participate in code reviews and optimize backend performance
· Keep abreast of technology trends and best practices
· Willingness to accept new challenges, assist in troubleshooting issues and possess the ability to jump into areas that go beyond the code but improve our infrastructure such as builds, branching and Agile process improvements
· Development expertise with a solid foundation in Java (and related frameworks like Spring Boot), SSO frameworks/approaches, and data stores
· Experience with building responsive Single Page Applications using RESTful web services and processing JSON data
· Experience with continuous integration, including provisioning, deployment, testing and version control
· Experience developing and implementing testing frameworks and best practices utilizing Test Driven Development methodologies
· Experience and a passion for working with Agile teams and evolving our Agile processes
· Experience and desire to mentor other teammates into the ways and practices of the Jedi
· Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or equivalent experience
· 5+ years of full-time professional Java development experience
· 2+ years experience with relational database technologies (Postgres, MySql, etc) including SQL
· Java, Web Programming Skills, Web User Interface Design, Software Requirements, Software Development Process, Object-Oriented Design (OOD), Software Debugging
· Ability to work in a highly collaborative Agile team
· Demonstrated aptitude and desire to learn new skills
· Excellent written and verbal communication skills
· Ability to embrace change and work in a fast paced, iterative environment
· Ability to develop an understanding of the commercial UAS marketplace and customers’ needs.
· Experience working in a startup environment and wearing many technical hats
· Experience with Amazon Web Services, Google Cloud, Docker and Kubernetes
· Demonstrable experience working in a Microservice environment
· PostGIS experience
· Experience flying drones for business or pleasure (Part 107 certification preferred)