Position Details: PRODUCT OWNER
What you’ll do all day:
- Define the tools and features Client needs to build. Client’s edge is its technology products. And as a product owner, you’ll be responsible for defining what products Client should be building and also determining their outcomes.
Become an expert: A great product manager must know their product inside and out. This can require anything from reading pages of financial regulations to attending industry conferences. And of course you are expected to talk often with subject matter experts (SMEs) inside of Client. Don’t apply if you don’t like learning!
Collaborate with your engineering team to drive projects to completion. At Client, product owners are assigned to a specific engineering team. This fosters good communication and team rhythm. You will work daily with your team to plan projects, groom backlogs, and research emerging requirements.
Collaborate with the business and SMEs on technology strategy. You will meet regularly with subject matter experts, key customers, and senior-level decision makers to ensure everyone agrees to the same product vision. An important part of the job is also to document and communicate that vision to ensure we have a written record of key decisions and outcomes.
Make us better. We want to stand out in the crowd. What new cool, innovative and smart technologies should we be exploring? We want to be different and we want people to look at us as the industry leaders in employing and building cutting edge technologies.
A few reasons why you might love us:
- We’re a leader in the space. Client is recognized for disrupting the financial services industry, enabling fintech standouts like Stash, Robinhood and Betterment. We’ve got an amazing track record of success and we foster ongoing innovation. So you get all the benefits of a proven, growing company, while enjoying a very entrepreneurial culture
- We see tech differently. You’ll work with people who are leaders in the tech industry. We are passionate engineers dedicated to finding new and different ways to use technology to solve our customers problems.
- Your work will have immediate impact. You’ll be able to see your direct impact on our tech department and with our clients.
And a few reasons why you may not like working for us:
- You don’t like change. This is not a job for someone who likes “predictable.” The job is based on the unknown which inevitably means change. If you like to know what you’re going to do every day, you may not like working on this team. You have to go with the flow here.
- You’re not the collaborative type. We work together to ensure the best possible solutions for our customers. We think two brains are better than one so we do most of our work together. Team work makes the dream work on this team.
- You’re a tech snob. We deal with all technology – Linux and Windows; .NET and Java; SQL and noSQL (mongoDB); RabbitMQ and other open source tools and libraries. We love technology and want to work with all of it. If you’re wed to a particular shop, you may not like working for us.
The skills you’ll need to succeed:
- Bachelor’s degree in CS, Engineering, Science or the equivalent
- Experience in delivering software and products in a Financial Services (FinTech) and or Technology firm a plus.
- Ability to dig into business or technical problems and find pragmatic solutions
- Solid experience in Agile development methodology and SDLC.
- Proven experience in defining functional specifications, building and gathering requirements.
- Great communication; Good at telling the development team and QA what you want to build, with proven ability to tailor messaging for different kinds of audiences
- Strong ability to question assumptions
- Excellent inter-personal, verbal and written communication
- Experience with software planning and collaboration tools (Confluence, Jira) a plus