Position Details: BI Engineer-00622
General Position Summary:
As a Business Intelligence Developer in Columbia’s Enterprise Information Management (EIM) team, you have a passion for leading the design and development of creative and innovative analytics solutions. You love telling stories with data, creating insights through rich interactive data visualizations, and facilitating impactful self-service data discovery. You are a builder at heart, and will participate in the strategic design, development and support of data solutions that move Columbia forward.
o Grow and improve Columbia’s global analytics, reporting and visualization architecture and solutions. o Facilitate, enable and expand self-service capabilities across the organization. o Lead and Partner with stakeholders to design and support certified enterprise datasets and semantic layers. o Lead the identification and implementation of solutions to enhance existing BI infrastructure, processes and technology. o Collaborate with subject matter experts to establish the technical vision and requirements to support high value business solutions. o Participate in the use of Agile practices to elicit and refine requirements through an iterative process of planning, defining acceptance criteria, prioritizing, developing and reviewing the solutions. o Lead the creation and delivery of training to business partners on all Business Intelligence tools ranging from beginner to advanced users. o Continuously improve Columbia’s analytic data architecture by analyzing issues, discovering root causes and providing sustainable high-quality solutions. o Provide subject matter expertise and guidance to less experienced staff members regarding performance management and design best practices. o Participation on projects in various stages of progress o Daily interaction, partnership and collaboration across the Columbia business community. Education:
Bachelor’s Degree required Computer Science, Information Systems or a related field. An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
Specific Job Skills:
• Experience in a data warehouse or database. Experience creating a data model, creating SQL queries and performance tuning. • Intermediate experience with a scripting language such as Python or PowerShell • Intermediate experience with a programming language such as .Net or C#. • Data Analysis: Understand business processes and the data analysis and modeling to support them. • Experience with large scale data processing, data structure optimization and scalability of algorithms a plus • Highly motivated, self-driven, capable of defining own design and test scenarios • Experience with Microsoft Azure: Data factory, data lake and data warehouse a bonus Experience :
• 6+ years of business intelligence and data warehouse experience
• Deep understanding of Dimensional modeling, data warehouse design, and Kimball practices
• Strong experience building solutions with an excellent user experience. UX design experience preferred.
• Deep implementation, development, and support experience with at least three of the following reporting platforms: Azure Analysis Services, Microsoft Power BI, Tableau, Cognos, SAP Business Objects.
• Experience with the deployment and optimization of a medium to large scale enterprise BI platform.
• Expert in SQL and query optimization for data platforms such as Azure SQL DW, HDInsights
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills to facilitate discussion at all levels of the organization and develop a sound business understanding to help derive meaningful insights from data.
• Sound judgment and decision-making, and the appropriate sense of urgency and is a self-starter.
• Strong analysis, design and troubleshooting abilities, with a highly analytical mindset.
• Energetic attitude, creative problem solving, relationship building skills, as well as flexibility in approach and design.
• Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Information Systems or related field; or equivalent work experience.