The first thing we must know about agile which means is a group of methodologies based on iterative development, where requirements and solutions evolve through collaboration between self-organizing cross-functional teams.
- Individual, team interactions over processes and tools.
- Working software over comprehensive documentation.
- Customer collaboration over contract negotiation.
- Responding to changes than following a plan.
A distributed development project, defined as a group of members actively collaborating on a common software/ systems project separated by Distance, Time Zone and Culture. The interesting thing about this is that people from different cultural and language backgrounds team up and contribute to develop a unified product this helps them understand each other’s needs a little better and provides new perspectives.
There are 12 basic principles of Agile Project Management development approach. These principles are based on the Agile Manifesto.
- Our highest priority is to satisfy the customer through early and continuous delivery of valuable software.
- Welcome changing requirements, even late in development. Agile processes harness change for the customer’s competitive advantage.
- Deliver working software frequently, from a couple of weeks to a couple of months, with a preference for the shorter timescale.
- Business people and developers must work together daily throughout the project.
- Build projects around motivated individuals. Give them the environment and support they need, then trust them to get the job done.
- The most efficient and effective method of conveying information to and within the development team is face-to-face conversation.
- Working software is the primary measure of progress.
- Agile processes promote sustainable development. The sponsors, developers, and users should be able to maintain a constant pace indefinitely.
- Continuous attention to technical excellence and good design enhances agility.
- Simplicity — the art of maximizing the amount of work not done — is essential.
- The best architectures, requirements, and designs emerge from self-organizing teams.
- At regular intervals, the team reflects on how to become more effective, then tunes and adjusts its behavior accordingly.
In the software development process traditionally, they follow the waterfall model. Before going to study the agile methodology, we must know the difference between waterfall model and agile project development method.